Sunday, September 03, 2006

Two bottles of port...What was I thinking!?



I was thinking "Hell it's cheaper then coke in the same size bottle". This morning I felt like I was hit by a 2-ton Mercedes-Benz lorry. Wont be doing that again. Made friends with half the people on the Champs Elysees last night as we walked around and sipped from our various "thermoses" as we call them, offering to trade sips with whatever the happy stranger had in his bottle. Maybe that had something to do with it too.

Friday-Walked for 8 hours saw the Musee Carnavalet, the Pantheon, Palace garden (the kids with the little sailboats was great), St. Sulpice church, The Arab institute (with the cool lens windows, half of which are broken) and the National Library & Archives building. My legs were killing by the end of the day.

Saturday- Woke-up anf felt great, walking Friday must have been good for me. Villa Savoye in Poissy, Corbusier- slightly disappointed, wasn't as majestic as I thought, but then again Urban encroachment has made it hard to keep the original site as 'country' as it used to be. Came back and went to the markets on Montmartre and bought some things for dinner. Great shops with great prices, if you have the patience to look. Cooked dinner for everyone. Prime rib, which was cheap, with mashed potatoes and sauteed oyster mushrooms, one of the other students got a bottle on wine, and we had some cheese and fresh figs with honey for dessert. If the stores at home were this good I might be more inspired to cook. and I think I've already said enough on how the rest of the night and today have been.

2 comments:

denney_sean said...

You're turning into Henry Miller with each sip of French Wine you drop down your throat

Anonymous said...

Hi it's Kathryn you are forbidden to whine about anything: YOU ARE IN PARIS and I am not. I expect you to have one exceptional experience after another the criteria being either of the following: will it kill you:if not go ahead or for you to remember (and this is from an more mature person) You only regret what you don't do not what you do. missed opportunities are regretable and things that turn out really shitty make the best stories.
love kathryn